If you have always dreamed of relocating to the Lone Star State, the City of Arlington might be the perfect spot for you to settle in. Nestled comfortably between Fort Worth and Dallas, this vibrant city has continued to grow into a diverse and exciting residential destination.
Whether you are looking for someone to buy my house in Fort Worth so that you can move out of the big metro city, or you are relocating for your career from another state, Arlington is one of the most desired communities in northeast Texas for families. With award-winning educational institutions, endless entertainment venues, and cultural enticements for any taste, Arlington is the place to be.
With the average cost of living in TX one of the lowest in the nation, many families are preparing to make the move to the “friendship” state. Let’s take a closer look at Arlington, the things that make it a unique Texas destination, and a few fun things for your family to do.
About Arlington Texas
Located in Tarrant County Texas, Arlington is less than 20 miles from both Fort Worth and Dallas. For those that prefer city life without feeling swallowed by a large metropolis, Arlington is the perfect place to live. Home to the University of Texas at Arlington, this charming city sits on the banks of the Trinity River, the charming downtown district holds over a century of pioneering history.
The Arlington General Motors Assembly plant is a huge employer in the area along with its supply chain of businesses. For sports fans, you can’t find a better place to show your excitement and fan loyalty than in Arlington, home to the Dallas Cowboys and the Texas Rangers.
European pioneer settlements in the Arlington area can be dated back to the 1840s. However, the Arlington city center was not established until 1884. The rich soil, pleasant year-round climate, and presence of freshwater resources quickly made Arlington one of the fastest-growing cities in Texas.
The Arlington of today continues to be focused on population expansion, neighborhood revitalization, and economic growth. Some of the most successful cash home buyers in Arlington has to offer are quickly turning areas with older homes into new and vibrant residential neighborhoods. If you are looking to relocate to Arlington, there are plenty of companies that claim that “we buy homes in Texas” can help you find the right buyer
The 2021 population of Arlington reached nearly 400,000 and continues to grow. The housing market in Arlington is reflective of trends across the country, with median home prices being elevated. The average home cost is up nearly 22% since last year with single-family homes selling for nearly $365,000.
What Makes Arlington a Great Place to Live?
When you are considering a move to a new city, you always want to do your research about what your chosen destination has to offer. You need to consider the current job market, availability of entertainment, the school system, the climate, and the overall cost of living. The great thing about Arlington, Texas is that it scores high in all of these areas. Let’s take a closer look.
- If you like it hot, you will love the weather in Arlington. For northerners that are tired of shoveling snow and dealing with frostbitten toes in the winter, Arlington is a great place to make a move. The winter temperatures are very comfortable, and the spring and fall have many gloriously clear and warm days. If you like the heat, the summer in Arlington is definitely the place to be. The warm dry air can make your time kayaking on the river or sunbathing on the shore the perfect way to spend the summer.
Numerous Entertainment Choices
- Arlington has many types of entertainment that will keep your whole family happy. From the Six Flags Amusement and Water Park to the sky-high stadiums of the Dallas Cowboys and Texas Rangers ballpark, there are unlimited sporting activities to enjoy in Arlington. If you are looking for something a bit more on the cultural side of things, you can enjoy the diverse and artistic communities of the downtown Arlington entertainment district that boasts dozens of galleries, boutiques, independent brew masters, and shops.
- Arlington is home to many theaters for those that love to delve into the musical arts and several top-rated restaurants in which to dine on a special night out.
- For families with children, Arlington is a superior choice for education. Your children can attend top-rated schools from kindergarten to university in Arlington. The Independent School Board boasts dozens of B-rated public schools along with several private and semi-private schools.
- As the home of the University of Texas at Arlington, this vibrant educational city is a huge employer for teachers and experts.
- Arlington has only a 5% unemployment rate, making it one of the most stable economies in the country. There are several industries that employ a large majority of the population including the University of Texas and General Motors. There are more than 12,000 successful and thriving businesses including in Arlington to suit any employment needs.
Cost of Living
- For families that are tired of living paycheck to paycheck, Arlington provides an opportunity to live in a city that is affordable with a lower than average cost of living. The cost of healthcare, transportation, housing, and food is lower than the national average.
10 Things to Do in Arlington, Texas
River Legacy Park
Located on the lush banks of the Trinity River, this urban park space is a favorite for families. With over 1,000 acres to explore, you can enjoy the biking trails and hiking trails, bring a picnic for a family day trip, try a bit of birdwatching, or let the kids romp on the playground.
Located at the University of Texas, the Planetarium established in 1975 is one of the most technologically advanced facilities of its kind in the country. The Digitar 5 system projects screenshots of the planets, our universe, and distant galaxies. You can be transported to other worlds while enjoying educational or entertaining presentations.
Six Flags Over Texas
If you are looking for a place to go that is full of thrills, you can’t miss out on a visit to Six Flags Over Texas. Spend the day enjoying the coasters, children’s rides, stage shows, and various entertainment at this beloved theme park.
Globe Life Park
Take in a Texas Ranger Ballgame at this open-air stadium that will thrill the whole family. The stadium is part of a larger recreational facility next to AT&T Stadium that includes a lake, several green spaces, batting cages, and restaurants. You can take a pre-game guided tour of the park with the family to get a look at the scenes of baseball history.
Top O’Hill Terrace
For history buffs, you can’t miss taking a tour of the Top O’Hill Terrace. This unique building started its life as a Tea Room that hid a secret basement room that catered to illegal gambling. As one of the best free things to do in Dallas, you can take a tour of this historic site and be transported back to the days of prohibition and gambling.
If you want to take in the artistic offerings of Arlington rather than delving into sightseeing in the area, you can’t miss a night at the Symphony. Under the direction of Maestro Robert Carter Austin, the Arlington Symphony offers a varied package of events throughout the season.
International Bowling Museum and Hall of Fame
If you have ever spent time in the alleys or belonged to a bowling league, you can’t pass up the chance to visit the International Bowling Museum & Hall of Fame. You can take a tour of the unique collectibles on display and learn everything there is to know about the 5,000 year-long history of the game.
Tierra Verde Golf Club
If you love to get a game in on the links, Arlington has one of the most spectacular examples of golfing in the area. The Tierra Verde Golf Club is a pristine example of how cultural sports and wildlife can coexist in unparalleled beauty and grace. This stunning course was the first in the state to be certified as an Audubon Course. Since 1998, the course has offered 250 acres of secluded and lush woodlands with a unique and challenging course design.
If you love the downtown vibe and outdoor activities, you can always find something entertaining going on at the Levitt Pavilion. This venue features a packed schedule of free year-long entertainment including live music artists and festival concerts. Located in the Founders Plaza, this non-profit-backed organization hosts over 50 concerts every year to be enjoyed by all ages.
If rides aren’t your thing, or your kids are too short to get on some of the rides at Six Flags, you can still enjoy the amusement park at Six Flags Hurricane Harbor. This unique waterpark facility is the newest complement to the amusements of Six Flags. There are dozens of waterslides to try, a wave pool, and a splashing area that are suitable for the whole family.
Texans are very proud of their state and all that it has to offer. When considering settling in Arlington, you have so many benefits to consider. From a wide range of entertainment and services to various job opportunities, Arlington continues to be one of the fastest-growing cities in the country. With a lower than average cost of living and a higher than average quality of life. It’s not surprising that many people are choosing to make Arlington their home.